Types of Dachshunds
Are you curious as to what types of Dachshunds there are? Well you have come to the right place – so keep reading to learn all about the different types of Dachshunds.
There are three different types of Dachshunds:
- The Wired Haired Dachshund
- The Long Haired Dachshund
- The Smooth Coated Dachshund
Each of these Dachshunds can come in different sizes including standard, miniature or toy. Another point to note is that each of these different types of Dachshund have similar features some of which include a long body, short legs and drawn-out head.
Read on to learn more in-depth details about each of the above different types of Dachshunds.
The Wired-Haired Dachshund
Out all the different types of Dachshund’s, the Wired-Haired Dachshund is the only type that looks like it has a beard. This is because it has thick, long hair under their chin and around their eyes. This also makes them more unique looking than the other types of Dachshund‘s. The hair on their coat is straight, not too long, dense and feels rough to touch. However, the wired-haired Dachshund’s undercoat is a lot softer to touch. The Wired-Haired Dachshund also comes in a number of colours including the unusual wild boar colour, tan, black and red to name only a few.
The Long-haired Dachshund is as exactly as their name says – long-haired. Their hair is not curly but it can have a little wave and is at its longest around the Dachshund’s neck, chest, underbelly and ears. The Long-haired Dachshund can also come in a number of different colours including black, grey, brown, red and cream to name just a few.
When imagining the different types of Dachshund’s you will probably get an image of the smooth-coated Dachshund in your head.
Smooth-Coated Dachshund’s have exactly that – a smooth coat. Their tail is also quite thin.
As previously mentioned, there are three different Dachshund sizes – standard, miniature and toy. And each of the above different types of Dachshund’s can come in any of these sizes.
Below is the different height and weight range for each of these sizes:
- At one year of age the standard Dachshund will be at an approximate height of eight to eleven inches (twenty to twenty seven centimeters). At this age they will usually weigh over eleven pounds (over five kilograms) approximately.
- At one year of age the miniature Dachshund will be at an approximate height of five to seven inches (thirteen to eighteen centimeters) and they will usually weight approximately eleven pounds or less (five kilograms or less).
- At one year of age the toy Dachshund will be at an approximate height of twelve inches (thirty centimeters) and will weigh approximately eight pounds (three and a half kilograms).
As you can see from the above there are three different types of Dachshund’s and they all have their own unique features. Whatever type of Dachshund you choice you can’t go wrong as they certainly all do make wonderful pets!