Did you want to learn all about Teacup Dachshunds? Well you may be interested to learn that there is no such thing! Keep reading to learn more.
There is no such thing as Teacup Dachshunds. In fact a so-called Teacup Dachshunds are just standard Dachshunds that happen to be smaller for various reasons. For example they could be the runt of a litter. These smaller so-called Teacup Dachshunds are often are more prone to health problems and harder to train. It is also not good breeding practice to try and breed smaller than usual Dachshunds.
The three standard types of Dachshunds that do exist include the Long Haired Dachshund, the Wired Haired Dachshund and the Smooth Coated Dachshund. And each of these standard Dachshunds comes in three sizes – standard, miniature and toy.
Now, why would you want to buy Teacup Dachshunds when the Long Haired Dachshund, the Wired Haired Dachshund and the Smooth Coated Dachshund are already amazing dogs? Keep reading to learn more on these fantastic types of Dachshund.
Long Haired Dachshund
- As per their name, the Long Haired Dachshund has long hair. This hair is usually longest around their neck, underbelly, chest and ears.
- The Long Haired Dachshund hair is not curly but it can have a slight wave.
- The Long Haired Dachshund comes in a number colours such as red, cream, brown, black and great to name only a few.
Wired Haired Dachshund
- The unique thing about the Wired Haired Dachshund is the fact that they look like they have a beard. This is due to them having thick hair under their chins.
- The Wired Haired Dachshunds coat hair is short, straight and rough.
- Like the Long Haired Dachshund, the Wired Haired Dachshund also comes in a number of colours. These include the unique wild boar colour, tan, red and black to name some.
Smooth Coated Dachshund
- The Smooth Coated Dachshund has just that – a smooth coat.
- They also have quite a thin tail.
As previously mentioned, each of the above Dachshund’s come in three sizes – standard, miniature and toy. Again, please note there is no size for Teacup Dachshunds as they are just a smaller version of a standard Dachshund.
The following is the weight and height range for each of Dachshund sizes:
- The standard sized Dachshund will reach a height of around eight to eleven inches (twenty to twenty seven centimeters). The will also weigh over eleven pounds (five kilograms).
- The miniature sized Dachshund will reach a height of around five to seven inches (thirteen to eighteen centimeters). They will also weigh around eleven pounds (five kilograms).
- The toy sized Dachshund will reach a height of around twelve inches (thirty centimeters). They will also weigh approximately eight pounds (three and a half kilograms).
As you can see from the above, the standard types of Dachshund’s are amazing dogs who make fantastic companions. Therefore, there is no need to try and adopt smaller so-called Teacup Dachshunds who are often more prone to health problems and will be much harder to train. So if you are thinking about adopting a Dachshund then make sure you choose a standard, healthy sized Dachshund and avoid anyone trying to sell so-called Teacup Dachshunds.